Thursday, January 27, 2005

"My clothes are worn and gritty; And I know ugliness; Now show me something pretty."

Amy correctly guessed the Jan 25th song....

The Champa flower is a flower of the East. The Beloved flower of the country Laos. In fact, there is a national song about the Champa flower:


Champa Flower, you have stood by my side since I was young.
Your fragrance is significant; in my heart it stands with love and affection.
I treasure your sweet scent, for when I feel lonely, I can breathe in your sweet fragrance, My Dear Sweet Champa.
Your delicate fragrance is like my long lost friend. You have been a beautiful flower since the beginning of time, My Dear Champa Flower, My Beloved Flower.

Beloved's blossoms. Posted by Hello

The Champa flower holds much spiritual significance. Its scent used for devotional ceremonies. Aromatic traditions and symbolism are extensively used in Indian culture to illustrate the power of living. Just like the Champa flower kisses us with its sweet fragrance as it is awoken by the sun, we are too awakened by spirituality that lifts us, moves us, and allows us to flow our goodness effortlessly through the world-- a blessing.

The Champa flower holds personal significance. It is also beloved by me. In the form of incense and essential oil, that is. It has a sweet and exotic smell, one could say at times intoxicating. The incense itself has been around for several years. This scent holds a special place with me because it takes me back to my childhood and good memories. It was the only incense we burned in my home since I was a little girl. My dad used the incense to 'smudge' us when we were little. Meaning: using the hands to wash the scent over you. It's used as a part of blessing, cleansing, and healing.

Nag Champa has become a popular incense. The incense combines the scent of the Champa flower along with other spices. If you want to try the incense, go to any Indian grocer and buy it there. You'll find it for super cheap, as opposed to any novelty stores that carry it.

What does all this have to do with Amy (Pea)? Amy means Beloved. Amy = Beloved. I think after reading the above, the connection is quite clear. Anything for a girl who says I am 'practically her sister'.

It's amazing how when you take the time to think about a person, the thought of them inspires you with the flow of words, feelings, and connections. It is truly meaningful. The ability to create meaning I think is one of the keys to a happy life.

I'm glad I sat down and made time to write this. I've had a taxing week and in the midst of one particular stress, a kind person asked me what they could do for me. 'What can I do for you?'. Eloquent words.... inspiring me to write this tonight.

May golden Champa blooms decorate your dreams..... :)

3 comments:

Laura said...

hey F, i need to tell you about nag champa and my trip. there was a sub theme of nag champa. let's talk some time?

Lady of Light said...

L, you've got one too many 'Nag Champa' stories. I've never known anyone who has had so many as you. It's like Nag Champa follows you around and want to make incessant friends. You are way too POPuLAR.

Laura said...

you don't have to tell me twice how POPular i am, F. especially when it comes to nag champa. story of my life, eh?