Tuesday, August 30, 2005

You might be the silent type; But you're advertising louder now; It's crazy how you're killing me

There is a big difference between power over work and power over the people you work with. These two things are often mixed up. I've been observing that often times when people feel no control over their work, that they attempt to regain that control by undermining the control of their team members. Sad, but true. I may work diligently all day long, sometimes not taking a break, but I do notice and listen to what's going on around me. Sometimes I wish people were just happier. Last week I was talking to this person on the phone about a work issue and then I asked her how she was doing. She paused, and in that silence I felt her frustration, pain and some desperation...I immediately started tearing up. And then I told her that it was okay if she didn't finish the work thing I was talking to her about. Sometimes people need to know that they are more important than a piece of paper or information in an email. Sometimes people really do forget that they are.

On a lighter note, I met a guy name Etienne today. Not only is that a cool name, but I enjoyed the way he said mine with his French accent. It pleasantly rung in my ear and I asked him to say it again. Now I'm thinking that was quite bold of me. Sometimes you've just got to tell someone when you like something they do. It's a simple pleasure to me.

0 comments: