Sunday, September 04, 2005

I wish that I could believe that there's a day you'd come back to me, But still I have to say- I would do it all again

Last night was my Aunty's 40th birthday party. Thanks be to Shereen who basically made all the food and all the preparations. She is a superwoman- so humble and beautiful and basically I can't see a selfish bone in her body.

It was a very special night, which is not surprising because my Aunty makes everything special when her presence is involved. She looked so pretty-- her friend did her makeup and hair, and I got to see just how curly her hair really is. It was amazing-- she has these tiny corkscrew curls which you never get to see because she always has the 2 minute mom hairdo which doesn't allow for much styling or much of anything for that matter.

The most special thing about that night was that my Aunty made a special toast to all of the imporant people in her life which Rohit videotaped for our out of country family members. It was so touching and so like my Aunty to do something like that on a day that's supposed to be about her. She raised her glass to each of us and through her tears, said something about each of us and how we've affected her life. There was not a dry eye in the place. In my books, she really is the matriarch of our new found family. I have often wondered where I would go or what would life be like when my parents are gone. Who would feel the loss like my brother and I would, and who would be my family then to belong to? Those fears of mine have slowly been subsiding and that is largely due to my Aunty who has given us all a place to belong. I'm so thankful for that and for her.

0 comments: