Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I wanna run with a reckless emotion;Find out if love is the size of an ocean;Even if I crash down or burn out;At least I'm gonna know what it's like..

Since it's my last week of work at my current job, I thought this work quote would be fitting. We have a 'thought of the week' every Monday. It really gives me something to hold on to in my personal thoughts throughout the dynamics of the work week.

“Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.

But I say to you that when you work you fulfill a part of earth’s furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born,

And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,

And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life’s inmost secret.”
--Kahlil Gibran in The Prophet

I think to love your work is so important. No matter what that job is, there is a purpose in it. I think you can even learn to love the purpose in a job even if you don't love the job itself. Sometimes unconditional love doesn't seem to exist when it comes to work. Isn't that funny? Finding purpose--it's half the battle in any aspect of life.

For example, if you stock shelves at a grocery store, it's because of you that buying food is made more convenient. Imagine if there was no one to place a can of soup on a shelf so that a mother could pick it up and put it in her shopping cart so she could take it home and feed her child. From one hand given to another, but hardly ever seen or recognized, let alone thought about. There is immense purpose and emotion in the smallest gesture. And yes, I do believe that gesture can be as simple as placing a can on a shelf.

When work becomes too much or perhaps not enough, know that every movement you make with your physical and mental self, has a purpose. Again purpose--I do a lot of this where when I'm struggling with something, I try to break it down to it's most simple elements to reveal what purpose it serves. Not always a pleasant experience but once I arrive at the realization it becomes more bearable. Purpose does make everything more bearable, doesn't it?

Here's to a week filled with labour and love for each of you.

0 comments: