Monday, February 28, 2005

"Overjoyed..."

As I was telling my friend yesterday, I think Stevie Wonder is an amazing artist. An all-time favorite of mine. I don't know how to describe it exactly but his songs just give such an energy that makes you reach this point of love and appreciation-- enough to make you weep. My parents owned the Songs in the Key of Life vinyl. Yes, I said vinyl. It was his popular record in the late 70s. I remember the big booklet insert in the double vinyl jacket with all the lyrics to the songs that I used to read over and over again.

Overjoyed is one of my favorites because of the element of vulnerableness yet strong faith that he weaves through the song. It portrays an emotion that we've all felt and have wished that we were brave enough to express:
Over hearts, I have painfully turned every stone
Just to find, I had found what I've searched to discover
I've come much too far for me now to find
The love that I've sought can never be mine
And though you don't believe that they do
They do come true
For did my dreams
Come true when I looked at you
And maybe too, if you would believe
You too might be
Overjoyed, over loved, over me
And though the odds say improbable
What do they know
For in romance
All true love needs is a chance
And maybe with a chance you will find
You too like I
Overjoyed, over loved, over you, over you


I think everyone deserves someone in life who is sure. Sure to be there when you need them, and when you don't think you need them. Sure to love you when at times you don't love yourself. Sure to have faith when you find it difficult. Sure to say for you, the things that you feel but are afraid to say. I think these things would make anyone feel overjoyed.

5 comments:

Lady of Light said...

Saweet, indeed. He's such a talented and unique songwriter. You don't find that too often anymore.

Anonymous said...

remember that episode of Cosby Show where Stevie Wonder's limo hit Theo and Denise's car. Then Stevie Wonder calls the Huxtable househould and Theo thinks it's Cockroach but its really Mr. Wonder and then they all get invited to the Studio. And they all have these little lines to say and Claire gets to sing 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'.That was a good episode. Good times yo....

Lady of Light said...

I totally remember that episode, it was a classic. I remember how excited Theo and Denise were when they were telling everyone the story and they broke out in 'I Just Called to Say I Love You.' I heart Huxtables! Good times holla!

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog...poetic & heart warming...i like it...
And yes...everyone needs someone who is sure...that is how i feel about him and vice versa...
Cheers, A & L (not to be confused with A & W root beer, pls ;) haha

Lady of Light said...

Thanks Eh and El. Here's to fun nights of food talk together! Remember Mohini wants Chinese potluck night very soon...haha!