Sunday, July 10, 2005

"Stay on, soon you'll be divine; If you start to cry, look up to the sky; Something's coming up ahead; To turn your tears to dew instead"

Let's talk watermelon. We had half of one sitting in the fridge. I witnessed my mom take it out, and cut into the flesh with a knife and partake. I said to her, "That's not how you're supposed to eat that." She replied, "Yes it is." I said "No it isn't. You're supposed to cut it in pieces, not just scoop out the flesh and leave the rest in the fridge." She said, "Yes you can. Here, you can do it too." To this I said an indignant, "No way." She left the kitchen and I fell into deep thought about it for approximately 3 seconds. I then took the bowl containing the half watermelon, took a Simeon L. & George H. Rogers fruit spoon, sat down and began scooping and eating. The shell of the watermelon was transformed into a bowl before me. It felt kind of communal, tribal even. Sometimes one needs to step out of their melon to enjoy it's flavor.


0 comments: