Thursday, December 01, 2005

Drench yourself in words unspoken; Live your life with arms wide open; Today is where your book begins; The rest is still unwritten

Have you ever come across something that you felt explained your feelings? I always look forward to the 'thought of the week' that we have at work. This week's was very significant for me because it talked about something that is on my mind a lot: Questions and the purpose in them. This poem touched me so much because it relflects the struggle in not knowing the answers, yet the beauty and greater purpose that lies within. Not that I have to explain this to many, but I have always been a person who likes to know the answers, and in some parts of life that can be productive. However, a lesson that I have learned is that sometimes understanding the questions are more important and productive than focussing on the answer. Answers come in many different forms, I think at times under the guise of questions.

I leave you with the poem:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart.
And try to love the questions themselves.
Do not seek the answers that cannot be given you
because you would not be able to live them.
And the point is to live everything.
Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it,
live along some distant day into the answer."

-Rainer Maria Rilke, taken from "Letters to a Young Poet," 1929

0 comments: