Saturday, April 30, 2005

"Give a little bit of heart and soul; Give a little bit of love to grow"

I heard the above song on the radio the other day and I immediately thought: Bart Scruggs. And I listened to the song and smiled. I went to high school with him and he was in my grade 8 science class. He was a short boy with long hair and floppy bangs that he sometimes wore off his face, parted in the middle. He was a 'rocker'. He smoked. And he wore white high tops with jeans and a jean jacket most of the time. In science class I sat at the same table as he did. It was assigned seating, which meant that a choice 'trouble maker' was usually seated beside me. Teachers often used me for that purpose. I guess I was supposed to be the good 'role model'. I didn't mind it at all because I got to know certain people in a way I probably wouldn't have.

Maybe it's because I didn't see myself very differently from Bart Scruggs, that I felt comfortable in those situations. After all, one day out of the blue when we were sitting in class, he sang the words 'Give a little bit of heart and soul, Give a little bit of love to grow' and I thought he was quite a good singer. I liked the song. So we had something in common.

I wonder if he ever remembers me. I doubt he would. I wonder if he'd be surprised that I have this memory of him etched in my mind. Whenever I hear that song, I think about when he sang it. I remember a playful boy who was sometimes rebellious and didn't always have the best manners.... but I thought he could sing, and he left an impression without knowing it. If I were to see Bart someday I'd hug him and tell him about my memory of him. I'd let him know that I was glad Mrs. D had him sit beside me in science class.

2 comments:

Laura said...

i think bart remembers you. he'd probably be surprised that you remember him so kindly, 'fondly' if you will, just like you'd be surprised at what he remembers about you. he probably looked up to you. i remember him running by me and some other girls in p.e. and mooning us. i'd like to see a fatima bart reunion hug. i'd tune in to watch the big moment. Mrs. D could be the hostess.

Lady of Light said...

Thanks Laura, I enjoy your answers to my questions. Bart mooning is a typical Bart move. Too bad you had to witness. Although, I think we all had to witness some boy mooning us in our high school days. Definitely a high school boy thing....Here's to high school follies!